Entering into a de facto relationship
Legal advice that is practical and realistic.
De Facto Property Settlements
Work out whether your relationship meets the criteria to make it a de facto relationship.
DA Family Lawyers can advise what rights and avenues you have available to you. We can also assist you in protecting your assets if you are thinking about entering into a de facto relationship.
De facto relationships now include same-sex relationships.
If you are in a de facto relationship and that relationship breaks down, identical considerations apply in the division of your property, as for married couples. The steps that need to be considered are as follows:
- Identify and value the assets and liabilities of both parties to the relationship.
- Consider the contributions, both financial and non-financial each party to the relationship has made.
- Consider the future needs of each of the parties.
- Make an order that is just and equitable.
DA Family Lawyers will help you identify the relevant issues to your situation and give you an idea on what is a reasonable settlement for you. Most importantly, we will give you advice that is practical and realistic, with a view to helping you reach a resolution as quickly as possible. Time limits do apply, so you should seek legal advice as quickly as possible. Before commencing any court proceedings, it is best to make a genuine attempt to resolve your property dispute without litigation. There are numerous options to achieve this, including mediation, dispute resolution, and having your DA Family Lawyer assist in negotiations with your ex-partner’s lawyer.
If you wish to enter into a civil union with your partner, we can advise you of the necessary requirements. Some of the necessary requirements include (but are not limited to):
- The parties are not married to each other
- The duration of the relationship was no less than two years
- The parties in the relationship are living with one another on a genuine domestic basis
To find out more information about de facto property settlements read through the material on our blog
For a family law firm you can trust, get in touch with DA Family Lawyers today. Our reliable, supportive and knowledgeable family law solicitors are here to help. We ask all our new clients to complete a schedule of assets to assist us in providing you with advice.