The draft Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation (Covid-19 Emergency Response) Regulation 2020 which is not in force yet, will have the following effect for victims of domestic violence:
- They will be able to terminate a lease agreement if to do so, is necessary to protect them from domestic and family violence.
- They are able to recover their proportion of bond payment if they terminate the lease
- They will not be required to pay for any repairs for damage caused by domestic violence against them.
To terminate a lease on the grounds of domestic and family violence a victim will have to show one of the following by way of supporting evidence:
- A protection order.
- A temporary protection order
- A police protection notice
- A injunction for personal protection under the Family Law Act
- A report in an approved form from a doctor, social worker, refuge or crisis support worker, domestic violence support worker, aboriginal medical centre.